Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Spine Poetry

Thursday, April 9

Spine Poetry
April is National Poetry Month!   (Links to an external site.)It has been since 1996 to remind us that Poetry Matters.  Happy Poetry Month to you..
Poetry.org  (Links to an external site.)says, "...National Poetry Month has taken on new meaning and importance. More and more people are turning to poetry at this moment, because poetry and inspiring language can help bring solace and needed strength."
I agree that everyone needs comfort and and support during this pandemic period. And I agree that poetry can provide these things.
Have you tried this fun kind of poem. It's called Spine Poetry or Cento Poetry or Found Poetry. Let's call it Spine Poetry. 
A reminder of which part of a book is called the spine:


Definition of Spine Poetry - Poems made of text taken from different sources.
Spine poetry is not new. Not even close. You maybe have seen some spine poems or even created your own. Take a look at the examples below:






This is my spine poetry for today:


You start from the top of the of the pile and read down. I had some nonfiction books scattered around the house so I pulled them together and went from there. I tried a lot of combinations before I narrowed it down to these 7 spines and in this order. I just kept moving the books around until I found the lines that go together.
Let's give it a try. 
Scholastic.org suggests using these steps.

Take your pile and read your poem to someone else. 










No comments:

Post a Comment